Now for the making of the flashlight. I needed to find a few elements, but the ITP shop has a lot of hidden gems. I found this little guy in the junk bin. Who knows what it did, but it had the perfect little ON/OFF switch I was looking for.
Knowing that I had a working flashlight with 2 double A batteries made me at least confident that I can at least replicate the functionality of this object.
Using a free LED from one of the shop bins, I started to see if I could build out the DC circuit to the batteries. Really I just wanted to see if it worked and if I could get through this exercise without using a soldering iron.
This LED turned out to be not very bright… but at least all the pieces worked together.
Still sticking with the plan to use a bottle as the housing, I developed a simple design for a bottle flashlight with an ON/OFF switch in the cap. The cap can also act as a mechanism by which the batteries can be removed.
With the design more or less finalized, I worked on building out the cap mechanism. I pulled out the switch from the piece of junk and realized that I would need to fasten it to an intermediary material because the screw holes were facing the wrong way. I found a piece of plywood that I cut, sanded down and drilled some small holes that would fit the screws of the switch.
Using wood as an intermediary meant that I wouldn’t be relying on glue to fasten it to the plastic cap I was using, I could screw it right in. I drilled a few holes in the cap and put it all together.
After adding the batteries, I was able to create essentially the bare minimums required to call something a flashlight.
Final steps remaining are:
- Make sure this fits in a bottle.
- Switch out the light for something a little more serious.
- Figure out a way to squeeze in a material that could make a good focusing chamber.
See other related flashlight posts here.